WHAT ARE CALLOUT EXTENSIONS?
You can now add even more text to your ads with Google’s latest Ad extension – callouts. This allows you to add up to 3 extra pieces of information to your ads such as ‘Free Delivery’ or ’50% off Today!’.
Callouts appear below your regular ad copy and above any other Ad extension such as reviews or site links (yes, you can have these all running at the same time!). They are not intended to be a direct link through to your website, they are supposed to be snippets of information to entice searchers to click on your Ad.
HOW TO USE THEM.
There are a number of ways to promote your Ad via callouts. We recommend amending your campaigns or ad groups instantly to include a number of key messages that your business offers such as ‘Free Delivery’ or ’90 Day Returns’. This means that you are instantly gaining more exposure.
From there you need to develop a callout strategy in line with any promotions, seasonal deals or new product launches. Callout extensions are going to be fantastic for seasonal deals as you can instantly change the copy to showcase ‘50% off for Easter’ or similar messages.
Callout extensions are also going to be extremely powerful for reacting to industry news, trends or changes. One example of this would be ‘Wellies for Leeds Fest’.
WHERE TO FIND THEM.
Ready to turn on Callout extensions? Simply log in to your Adwords and head to campaign or Ad group level (Ad group is much more targeted!). Click on the Ad extensions tab and select ‘Callout extensions’ in the View dropdown. From here you can add as many Callouts as you like, and select 3 per ad to be shown to searchers. You have 25 characters to work with and need to select a minimum of two per Ad for your Callouts to become eligible.
Ensure you continue to monitor your impressions, clicks and CPC for ads with Callouts turned on. If you find one ad is performing much better than others, review your Callout copy to increase click throughs.
We also recommend reviewing your Ad copy. There is no point having ‘Free Delivery’ appear twice on one Ad. You now have much more space so ensure you use it wisely and don’t duplicate content.
WHAT DOES GOOGLE SAY?
GOOGLE’S HAS SOME ADVICE TO OFFER FOR WHERE TO USE CALLOUTS:
• Highlight or summarize your business offering: Promote popular or unique aspects of your business.
• Minimize work and update callouts easily: You don’t need to make new text ads or edit them to include callouts. You can change your callout text whenever you want, keeping your ads up-to-date with sales and special offers.
• Flexibility: You can add callouts at the account, campaign, or ad group levels, allowing you to include both generic or detailed information within your ads.
• Detailed reporting: Find out how many clicks occurred on your ad when callouts appeared and compare your summary callout statistics at the campaign, ad group, or ad levels. You can also segment your statistics using “Top vs. Other” to see where ads with callouts were shown above organic Google search results.
• Data retention: Edit your callouts without resetting their performance statistics.
• Customized callouts for mobile: Create mobile-optimized callouts to show on mobile devices, or disable specific callouts on the devices you choose.
• Scheduling with start and end dates: Specify the dates, days of the week, or times of day your callouts are eligible to show.
Find out more from on Callout Extensions Google.
Need some help with your PPC account? Get in touch with our Digital Marketing team on LiveChat.